Saturday, August 18, 2007

Mullets, Miniskirts, and Mayhem


The Pitcher Clan ventured to the Salt Lake County Fair this weekend. Justin was really feeling the need to go and I wasn't so sure. I finally relented and we sally forthed to South Jordan for all the exploits the county fair offers. Let me inform you first I haven't really been to a county fair unless Orange County counts which in the tales I am about to share it doesn't even come close. You must be wondering what the title has to do with a harmless county fair, EVERYTHING! We went on a night with the Demolition Derby so every mullet, missing toothed, tattooed man came from every corner of West Salt Lake County. It was interesting I have never seen such variety in the lack of teeth and mullet styles. I thought the people coming to the fair were on the scary scale until I glanced at the booths with the "carnies". How is it that parents willingly send their innocent small children into the clutches of the "carnies". I am sure they are decent hard working people??? or just about the scariest people you could meet not in a dark ally. We walk through Carnie Land and end up enjoying a Lumberjack show. It was all so weird. A 75 year old guy, Speedy, chopped a log in half in under a minute. If I could do that today let alone when I am 75. Impressive! Then we saw the animals which smelled and Makayla was not all that thrilled about. She did like the bunnies. We walked into the area where the entertainment was, if you could call it that, it was a bad 80's band with a rotten dancer. This poor girl wasn't even dancing well maybe interpretive dance but what ever it was it was BAD. I was embarrassed for her or maybe it was a dare with high stakes?? It was just bad I am sure I will have nightmares about the girl. We walked around the booths and were told numerous times how cute our twins are (I really can't blame the onlookers, my boys are cute). But oh the people I saw at the fair: Pat- with the s/he mullet down to her/his waist. The old lady in the miniskirt and the biggest hair ever, I swear it had to be 10 inches off her scalp. The countless other people that didn't look SO bad after you took a look at the scary carnies. I don't know what I was expecting at the County Fair but it certainly paid me back in dividends for interesting Twilight Zone entertainment. I really hope that I don't have too many nightmares about the County Fair. It was fun I swear; I am sure you will catch me at the next one! :)

2 comments:

Starnes fam said...

Hahaha! I can't stop laughing! The Western Idaho Fair is going on right now and I think you have persuaded me to just skip it altogether this year!!!

Logan and Kelsey said...

Sounds a lot like the Idaho STATE fair in Blackfoot... a scary place altogether. I hope you didn't catch any weird carnie diseases. That would be a sad ending...